We are a diverse team of multidisciplinary professionals with over 50 years of collective business ownership, engineering, R&D, shop-floor fabrication experience driven to help customers solve their most challenging process and production issues on time and on budget.
Incorporated in 2009, P.W. Custom Fabrications was acquired in 2014 by George Foss, the former owner of 3L Filters, a highly successful Canadian custom fabrication company with North American reach. Key to 3L’s success was the assembly of a qualified and knowledgeable team and its reputation as an innovative, one-stop supplier for customers. This same approach has been implemented with the acquisition of PW and the integration in 2015 of Pro-Tech Manufacturing (general machining and fabrication) and Yagar Technical Services (engineering, R&D and product development in industrial water treatment).
Since acquiring PW, George has developed new markets by producing complete systems for customers in both the aviation and food Industries. PW’s ability to shear, form, polish, machine, weld and assemble metal products in its facility provides a significant advantage over many of its competitors.
Of key interest – George and the PW partner team have developed a highly innovative, patent-pending pressure vessel ‘quick-access’ closure which has significant market potential in multiple sectors, including: oil and gas, mining and water. While in its development, this innovation has garnered the attention of numerous field trial customers and has earned several new TSSA designations.
Meet The PW Team
George Foss, B. Admin, CMA
OwnerAn inventor at heart, George combines his passion for innovating environmentally sustainable technologies with his desire to understand customer needs. George brings over 35 years management and ownership experience of Ontario-based engineering and manufacturing companies with global operations and customer markets. Leading the PW team, George excels at growing profitable manufacturing companies. Prior to taking over P.W. Custom Fabrications in 2014, George co-owned and operated 3L Filters, a global supplier of engineered filtration, separation and recovery technologies to nuclear, oil & gas, industrial water and aviation markets. Managing a team of 80 employees across three plants in both Canada and the US, George’s leadership resulted in the introduction of innovative filtration and separation technologies to some of the largest companies in the world.
With over 30 years of shop-floor expertise, James manages the operations at PW and provides support to production. Prior to joining PW, James owned and operated Pro-Tech Manufacturing, which specialized in precision machining and fabrication of custom pressure vessel and pressure pipe components and assemblies in the oil & gas, water treatment and printing industries. As a certified general machinist and fabrication specialist with a knack for problem solving, James has been developing solutions for shop-floor machining, fitting and welding challenges since 1996.
Matt Yagar, P. Eng., MBA
Director, Research and Development
As head of R&D and engineering efforts at PW, Matt brings over 20 years of hands-on technical and project management expertise in R&D and product development in the diverse fields of industrial water treatment, speciality wire and cable, chemical production and general manufacturing. A co-inventor and team member on several electrodeionization water technology patents between 1997-2001 with E-CellTM / Glegg Water (now Suez Water Technologies), Matt continues to passionately pursue technology collaboration with academic institutions, industry experts and government funded technology programs. This has accelerated the development of innovative new products proprietary to PW, including the tool-less ‘quick-access’ pressure vessel closure and electrochemical-based advanced oxidation process (AOP) for treating and recovering highly contaminated waste water, developed in partnership with McMaster University, and currently in pilot stage field trials with a major industrial customer.
Providing a Range of
Custom Stainless Steel Fabrication
PW is currently focused on:
- In-development electrochemical-based wastewater treatment & recovery technology and re-cleanable stainless steel filtration media technology.
- TSSA qualified (CRN registered) stainless steel tool-less ‘quick-access’ closure pressure vessels and ‘fittings’ (for upgrade/refurbishment of existing pressure vessels with standard closures).
Benefits of the Tool-less Quick-Access Closure (QAC):
- Tool-less high-leverage quick-access actuating mechanism and indestructible counterweight system eliminates need to staff skilled mechanics, requiring only a single operator.
- Addresses the scarcity of vertical head-lift options currently available in the market and technological limitations due to mechanism failure and shortage of corrosion-resistant material offerings (304SS, 316SS).
- Reduction of operator and environmental exposure to volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other harmful airborne contaminants by reducing vessel open/close time from several minutes or hours, to only a few seconds.
- Augments and extends the useful life of capital equipment by enabling retrofit of existing pressure vessel closures with CRN registered quick-release head-lift as a ‘fitting’.
- Failsafe (poka-yoke) integrated into main vessel quick-release mechanism prevents accidental vessel opening prior to actuation of the pressure relief system (PSV).
- Robust head-lift mechanism design significantly reduces risk of damage through mis-use and repeated cycling, compared to existing mechanisms.
- Ability to meet quick delivery times through pre-qualification with multi-provincial safety standards authorities in multiple vessel sizes and materials.
- Commission-ready, with each vessel being factory tested and boiler plate certified and CRN registered to 150 psi pressure rating.
Other Products & Services We Provide:
- Stainless steel liquid pressure vessel and power piping systems
- Stainless steel liquid power piping systems
- Fabrication and assembly of high purity stainless steel filtration, separation, mixing, clean-in-place (CIP), and storage systems for food and pharmaceutical applications
Custom steel metal fabricated products:
- Storage Cabinets
- Storage Tanks
- Work platforms
- Automotive Maintenance Accessories
- Industrial Computer Work Stations
- Scissor jacks
Stainless steel and aluminum finishing (polishing, electroplating,
powder-coating and painting).
SECTORS WE SERVE
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Oil & gas
- Water Treatment
P.W. Custom Fabrications offers a wide range of machining and fabrication equipment to complete your custom requirements, from NC and large chuck manual lathes, to production tig/mig/stick welders and surface polishing and forming equipment, all of which is supported by overhead cranes enclosed in a 10,000 square-foot production area accessed from two street entrances through 10 ft. x 12 ft. roll-up doors and an outdoor gantry system.
TSSA-certified quality programs in pressure vessel and process and power piping fabrication, assembly and erection in accordance with:
- CSA Standard B51 Boiler Pressure Vessel and Pressure Piping Code per ASME Section VIII, Division 1 – Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
- Repair and alteration of boilers, pressure vessels, piping and Category A, B, E and H type fittings
- ASME Standard B31.1 – Power Piping
- ASME Standard B31.3 – Process Piping
P.W. Custom Fabrications has built its core business infrastructure on speciality fabrication – pipe, vessel and skid filtration, separation and recovery systems. We reinvest in our R&D programs and infrastructure to introduce new resource- and cost-saving technologies, processes and products to our valued customers.
PW’s pressure vessel and power piping business is complemented by a new line of speciality stainless steel pressure vessel ‘quick-access’ closures’, available in 18” to 36” diameters. We are capable of supplying complete vessels with internals for bag or cartridge media. In addition, we also offer quick-access closures as stand-alone ‘fittings’ for refurbishment of existing vessel head-lift closures.
An Advanced Water Technologies partnership in 2018, between Southern Ontario Water Consortium, PW and McMaster University has led to the development of innovative electrochemical-based technology for treating complex mixed-chemical industrial waste water streams. This technology, which will be branded under PW’s new subsidiary company – The Liquid Recovery Group (LRG) – is currently in field trial development with a major North American industrial customer, and will be available to the market in early 2020.
Mission / Vision / Values
Mission | To create innovative liquid pressure vessel and power piping solutions, from single vessel to complex systems, enabling customers to maximize their returns on filtration infrastructure investments.
Vision | To be a leading Canadian innovator in stainless steel liquid pressure vessel and power piping technologies by leveraging our strengths in custom stainless steel fabricating and finishing capabilities.
Values | Our concern for helping customers solve their most challenging problems aligns with our curiosity and commitment to innovating environmentally sustainable technologies for the protection of our precious natural resources.
How can we help?
777 Laurel Street, Unit 8B
Cambridge, ON N3H 3Z1